Last Updated on December 20, 2015 by Tim
Shattered Wings is an innovative new game that combines different aspects from different kinds of games into one in a unique way. About 2.5 years have already been put into designing and developing it, reaching up to it’s current Alpha state. The Alpha client is ready, and now the Kickstarter campaign is live and needs your backing.
This newly emerging game combines MMO, MOBA, Battle Royale, and Voxel elements into an elegant and simple design.
- Dark Energy is the universal currency used to upgrade base stats, item stats, and skills.
- The server uses an entirely authoritative model with exhaustive bounds checking for each packet type; This means making any kind of hacks for the system aside from client-sided graphical mods becomes extremely difficult.
- The game’s terrain engine supports static, dynamically generated, as well as voxel-based worlds. It was designed with speed, efficiency, and flexibility extensively in mind.
- The game’s combat engine supports a wide variety of different functionality to support a wide range of differently working skills with varying mechanics.
- The terrain and combat engines merge in the game mode engine with a flexible capacity to enhance functionality currently supporting and featuring 4 different modes of gameplay. These are outlined below.
- Dynamically generated maps featuring periodic mob spawns with varying stats and difficulty.
- Requires a gate key obtained only from killing floor mobs to finish the instance.
- Mobs have a varying chance of randomly dropping equipment & other useful items upon being killed.
- Equipment can be grown if desired or sold to the Shadownet shop or other players if unwanted.
- Bosses and mini-bosses periodically spawned are also planned by the Beta.
- Features a mostly dynamically generated map; the entire jungle is dynamically generated for each instance.
- Similar to existing MOBAs, there is a base structure (Fortress) that each team must defend, with tower structures protecting Resistors within each team’s base, as well as distributed throughout 3 lanes leading towards the center of the map.
- Every player starts with exactly the same normalized base stats to ensure fairness.
- Items can be purchased from the Shop at the respective player’s base fountain, with all base stats, items, and skills from within the match being lost upon match completion.
- Essentially a free-for-all deathmatch mode where players are dropped into a dynamically generated map, have to hunt for equipment that teaches useful skills, and attempt to wipe out the competition to end up the last one standing.
- The way the mode currently works in the Alpha is by dropping everyone in the party of the leader into the same map as free-for-all players off to loot items and wipe out the others.
- A fully queue’d version of entering the mode either as a solo player or in fixed size groups is planned functionality for the Beta.
- Contains a voxel terrain-based world that can be modified by players using different tools to build dynamic, expansive worlds.
- There is already a significant amount of design work put into this area and the core functionality is even fully available in the Alpha.
- A decent amount of differing biomes, world keyword system, and more complex world generation are the next major areas that work will be done on for this mode by the Beta.
Check out the Shattered Wings Kickstarter campaign for more information.