VPN Router Buying Guide
Over the years there has been an increased awareness of how vulnerable we are while in our internet browsing endeavors. Governments, strangers, and even organizations can potentially access information of your whereabouts, browsing histories and other private information you would not willingly dispatch to public domain. Nonetheless, there is a remedy to this particular problem and that is the use of Virtual Private Networks (VPN) which can safeguard your browsing activity from snooping eyes by comprehensively encrypting it.
Basically, all you have to do is part with a few coins and earn a subscription to VPN software which when installed in your browsing devices will give you unlimited secure internet connection. Although currently the market is flooded with numerous wonderful VPN services, safeguarding all your devices can be problematic. Nevertheless, with a VPN router in place, all these issues becomes a story of the past. Imagine surfing unlimitedly with no security worries!
How VPN Routers work
With a VPN router, you can easily share VPN connection with virtually any device of your choice that can link to a router. The convenience of this device is most notable where you have numerous devices and users around your network or when you are in a location with limited surfing freedom.
Why use a VPN Router?
- Security: If you are aware that unprotected internet browsing leaves your information vulnerable, then you know the importance of securing your browsing which is where a VPN router comes in handy. This router guarantees you both a secure bridge and a secure multiple network arrangement.
- Privacy: The use of a VPN network ensures that your Internet traffic is safe and secure from snooping individuals by encrypting all your browsing activity and information.
The customer is always right! And based on this, the router you ultimately settle for should be one that properly suits your needs. Although it is impossible to find a device that entirely fulfills all customized-needs, there are the particular features you should look for in your product which guarantee that it will offer you quality service.
When purchasing a VPN router, there are numerous considerations you should take into account such as cost. Nonetheless, even with numerous products and brands flooding the market, below are some basic considerations you should check before settling for a VPN router:
- Number of Ports: Generally, almost every router comes equipped with a basic 4 ports. Nonetheless, your needs may mandate for more than the provided ports and as such you need to search for routers with an additional cable that can facilitate external connection to another router or a subsequent network switch.
- Compatibility: One aspect of a VPN router that more often than not is overlooked is the aspect of compatibility whether with the service providers or with customized firmware. Prior to choosing your preferred router, ensure that it is well compatible with customized firmware such as Tomato, OpenWRT, and DD-WRT among others. With these firmware, you can not only enhance the basic features of your VPN router, but can easily rectify router problem of updating reluctance.
- Security: Knowledge is power! With the awareness that unsecured browsing can potentially reveal important information and allow attacks, your choice of VPN routers should be based on the security cover it offers you. Most VPN routers provide the user with comprehensive security provisions for instance Defense, SPI Firewall, and DoS among others. Be safe; invest in a secure VPN router.
- Processing power: Your purpose of using the VPN router is the key predictor of the router power you ultimately require. If your router is practically used by few devices and for mild usage, then this will only mandate for a lower processing capacity power. But in contrast, for heavy internet users and especially coming from numerous devices, you optimal selection is obviously a VPN router characterized by powerful CPU and RAM.
- Speed configuration: Similar to processing power, your choice of router should also be based on the actual theoretical speed the VPN router provides. As opposed to the former 802.11n arrangement, latest developments have seen the creation of a better and faster configuration (802.11ac) which offers you speeds of about 1000 Mbps.
- Money-back guarantee: Even with significant technological advancements, there is still a need to ensure that the VPN router you end up purchasing is both of superior quality and effectively operational. When choosing a VPN router, go for brands that offer you considerable money-guarantee periods and arrangements.
Within business, communication is everything and that is the reason why you might need to consider the VPN router. This kind of router is perfect for the individuals who need to bunch together a few computers. In a home office or small office setting, the VPN router gives assets to each of the gadgets that are magnificent. To put it plainly, if you need to avoid having to physically interface each gadget through a link, a van router is appropriate for you.
Why VPN routers are the best
- Filtered Security: One thing that you may find available through the VPN router you select is a larger amount of security.
- Further Data Protection: When you have a business utilizing a network this way, there are restrictions regarding data security.
- Connectivity in Business: Within business, being able to interface various computers, tablets, and remote gadgets can engage.
2017 Top 5 VPN Routers
1. Asus RT-AC88U
The Asus RT-AC88U is an awesome choice for individuals who need a considerable measure of wired connections and support for an expansive number of remote clients. Not only does it have eight Gigabit Ethernet ports, but it is equipped for running DD-WRT firmware.Because of its speed and power, it’s an incredible decision for clients who need to stream HD videos.
- It is affordable
- Relatively faster
- Ideal for any family or business
- Compact and small
2. Netgear R7000
The Netgear R7000 model was habitually observed as one of the best VPN routers of 2016.While it isn’t as effective as the RT-AC88U, this router reliably beats bring down review routers.And while its equipment and exchange rates aren’t the most recent or the best, it costs somewhat less than late models.
- Small and compact
3. Netgear AC1450
This Netgear model is extremely comparable to its cousin, the R7000, but there are some minor differences.Firstly, all receiving wires are inside, however, both models have a similar measure of flash memory and RAM — the processor in this model is marginally slower.
4. Asus RT-AC5300
The Asus AC5300 is an effective VPN router fit for running flashed firmware.Though somewhat less intense than the Asus RT-AC88U, regardless it packs a considerable measure of punch. The default configuration makes four of its antennas receive, while the other four transmit.
- Strong signal
- Asus RT-AC56U
5. Asus RT-AC56U
An awesome aspect concerning the AC56U is its entire absence of outer antennas.While that isn’t perfect for an enhanced remote range, lacking antenna makes the router significantly more conservative, appealing, and simple to cover up in a corner.It has 2 USB spaces that work with glimmer drives or an outside HDD
- Small and compact
- Moderately priced
- The support of 3.0 USB
For those businesses that need more connectivity but that need extensive security protection for their data, the VPN router is the choice to take. It allows you to network various computers together and share data effortlessly starting with one place then onto the next with no bargaining of that data.
Also read: Best Golf Swing Analyzer